Tuesday 22 February 2011

Barney Bear by Gil Turner

Just gotta share this.
After reading all of Carl Barks "Barney Bear and Benny Burro" in the recently published book, it's a treat finding out that there were more good Barney stories made after he left the series.
Gil Turner, who wrote at least one of the Barney scripts illustrated by Barks, did a number of delightful BB & BB stories himself!
Just look at these three panels by Turner from T&J #65.

Wouldn't his stuff be worth to reprint? I sure think so. :)

4 comments:

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Or have Daan Jippes redo them in Barks style...

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Good point! :)
But I kinda like the style Turner used on these stories. And he probably wrote them himself too.

Mesterius said...

I think redoing these comics in Barks' style would be not only unnecessary, but complete madness when considering what a great comic book artist Gil Turner was in his own right. Yes, Barks was the master, but I really like Turner's style in the Barney Bear and Benny Burro panels we see here! Also, Turner is my all-time favorite "Li'l Bad Wolf" writer-artist. I'd love to see his comics reprinted - both the MGM and Disney stuff. Could you please post some complete Barney Bear and Benny Burro stories by Turner? :)

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Mesterius: Oh, I wish I could share a few of his stories. :)
But since that would require a licence from Warner I'm afraid I can't give you more than this.

Seeing Turners work in black and white om glossy proof paper is quite something, compared to the muddy printing in T&J.
I do whish these stories could be reprinted.