Wednesday 4 May 2011

(The Unpublished) Barks Treasury pt. VI

 Barks fans Jörgen Malmsten and Patrick Fontaine both mailed me independently after I posted this drawing last week:


They supplied me with the image in color and after checking Peter Kyllings site I guess this actually is one of the 1996 - 97 drawings:
Misc 19 – "Every Man for himself".
If someone can confirm that would be nice.

First we have the image I got from Patrick:

And then the one I got from Jörgen:

As you can see they are quite similar but not the same. My guess is that the first is a preliminary version and the signed one is the finished piece.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joakim
I'm the owner of the pencil piece and I guess you got the scan from my comicartfans.com gallery:
http://cafurl.com?i=16950
My brother bought the piece for me at the Bonhams & Butterfields auction in June, 2007. The catalog describes it as a 1980's concept sketch for a proposed cover for the Carl Barks Library boxed set.
Best,
Steven Ng

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Steven: Yep, that's probably where I found it.
I hope you don't mind me posting it here. :)

Anonymous said...

Joakim: I don't mind at all as your posting led to the color images which I hadn't seen previously. I also love the quality of your review on the Roy Crane book from Fantagraphics.
Best,
Steven