Saturday 6 June 2009

Kalla mig inte älskling

A few years ago I was browsing through a stack of old romance comics from the late 50's. Here in Sweden there was a comic book called Vicky wich used american comics and ran them in black an white back then. Most of the stuff I saw was pretty uninteresting but there was one story that really stood out. I don't know who the artist is but it sure is made under the influence of Alex Toth. Maybe it's Dan Spiegle?
Just look how well composed the panels are and how the artist use black as a contrast.
I really like "Kalla mig inte älskling" (Don't call me honey) and I hope you will too. :)







6 comments:

Åke Forsmark said...

Jag tänker på Carmine Infantino när jag ser det där. Om jag inte missminner mej så har han samarbetat med Alex Toth.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Looks like a prety run of the mill DC romanc story to me. If you like that sort of thing, you should check out some of the downloadabe DC romance books available.

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Well, most of the DC romance stuff is pretty boring. But this particular story caught my eye.
So, Ger, if you know where to find more by this artist from this period I'd be more than happy. :)

Smurfswacker said...

Looks to me like Carmine Infantino with a really heavy Joe Giella ink job. It doesn't look like Carmine through and through...which brings up the possibility of Frank Giacoia pencils. His work looked like Infantino with a touch of Kirby.

Håkan / Wakuran said...

I recall some of these stories were semi-adapted to Swedish audiences, which basically had the effect of American environments populated with characters named Berit and Ola.

Timo Ronkainen said...

Well, the very same Vicky comic book was published here in Finland also! And on issue number 5/1963 had Jack Kirby-Vince Colletta story about young woman called Doris Wilson, who spends her days dreaming on true love and reading Love Romances comic books. One day she meets an author of those very stories she have been reading! You can see a scan from that story in here: http://www.kvaak.fi/images/articles/04082003231011-4.jpg