Saturday 12 December 2009

Pogo and the Gleam

Now here's the answer to the question in the last post. What was shown was the back of a really nice piece of Floyd Gottfredson art from 1942.

Until very recently this belonged to my friend Germund, who had to sell it. It's Gottfredson at his very best with strong poses Mickey Mouse and the Gleam himself. Make sure you click on the image to see it in large format.

At the same time as I had the Gottfredson strip in my apartment, I also had several other pieces from Germunds collection "on loan". Including this Pogo daily from 1969. This shows that Walt Kelly was one of those artists that did maintain a very high standard through his whole career. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Germund said...

Oh well, sigh, the Gottfredson piece did find a good new home, but it wasn't fun parting with. On the other hand, if selling a piece of art is one's worst problem, perhaps I'm a lucky guy ...