Monday 9 July 2007

No Zip?

When I browsed a stack of copies of Mickey Mouse dailies from 1966 I noticed how "clean" they looked. Didn't Floyd Gottfredson use any Zip a Tone that year?

It wasn't until I started to dig deeper into the stack when I found a double set of strips with and without Zip a Tone!
Here's what the same strip looked like with all the small dots.

I had no idea that he prepared two different versions of the strip. The one without Zip was apparently shot before the dot pattern was glued on.

Does anyone out there know for how long this went on? Are there strips from the 40's or 50's known to be without these screen tones? Were the dot free versions used in any newspapers or prepared for other reasons?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you notice how far from his body the head actually is in panel three? Looks like a bit too far.. or else his head is stuck to the phone. :)

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Now that you mention it, it really looks as if his head is floating in the air behind his body. :)
But I guess it was a way for Gottfredson to make Goofys pose stronger. Pushing the head back and the body forward.